Tombstones in Detail

So many wonderful comments on my Tombstone Trio last post - THANK YOU - and a few questions I wanted to address. Some of you wanted to see more to understand how it came together, so I'll share that with you today.

It all starts with two Sizzix Alterations dies: Vintage Cabinet Card and Mini Cabinet Card.

This is what they look like. The mini is obviously the smaller one, and it's a Mover & Shaper die which means it's magnetic and can be used in the Base Tray or in the space of other open dies, such as the Vintage Cabinet Card die.




Just nestle it in there and wiggle it into position. For my tombstone frames, I made sure the mini was centered in the bigger die like this.



This is the result you get. Of course, I used the Vintage Cabinet Card die on its own to cut the backs of the tombstones and the paper that covers them. I used Grungeboard for these frames because the speckled gray color and texture was perfect for a tombstone look. That small piece on the left is left over, so I'll make some cute little tombstones or something else out of them eventually.




The frame is separated from the base using a 3/4 inch strip of chipboard that is scored softly and bent into this shape.




Each side of the chipboard strip is covered with paper then using Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue it's glued to the frame.



Sometimes elements are glued to the inner lip of the frame. This web is from the October 31st Cricut cartridge.




Sometimes into the base. 




Here I glued some moss from the craft store and this little coffin which was off of the Artiste Cricut cartridge, sold exclusively through Close to my Heart.




I glued hinges to the center tombstone's base on the back side.




After all the goodies are glued into the frames and bases of each tombstone, then I used the same thick glue to adhere the frames to the bases, then used a piece of black chipboard to extend from the hinge to allow room for movement.



Someone asked me what dies was used to make the fence. It was the Sizzix on the edge die called "On The Fence."


Here's another look at the project again. Thanks for stopping by.










Comments

  1. Awesome! Love the Tombstone scene and thanks for clearing up some questions I had also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW! I love these even more now that I can see how you did it! WOWIE Annette! You are the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wonderful!! I am in love with this project!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com